Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Day To Remember

Ten years ago we saw our world change. We saw those who sacrificed, those who ran in when others came out, those who fought, those who cried, those who mourned, and those who lost. I will never forget that day, and I knew then that my life; our life had changed. We knew immediately we would go to war. That anytime soon Chris would be called to duty. We knew at times we would not feel safe or secure.


At times I was hoping we could forget and never remember. I wanted to move on like nothing happened. I wanted to know things would be the same. You would be able to travel safely and not look at someone and question their true intent. You could go to the airport and walk up to the gate to welcome someone home. You could see someone of another religion or race and not question them. But that was not to happen.


This past week I have reflected a lot about that day and how we have changed. How I have changed. What has happened to our little family. What we went through to secure our city, state, and country. To know that Chris has left to fight for our freedoms. To take the war to them.

We new immediately that the little spirits waiting to come to our family would have to wait longer. I remember now why there is a big gap between Madison and Abigail. We wanted another child. I could feel her, hear her. I knew she was ready. Yet, on that day I didn't feel safe bringing antoher child into this world with such chaos and not knowing. Just not knowing.

Little did I know that Abigail would be my life saver. She got me through the lonely nights, the long days between calls from Chris. She took care of me and yet she wasn't even able to speak at the time.

Tonight as our family watched a beautiful documentary about a photographer who followed workers at Ground Zero days after the attack a reverence entered the house. The spirit was overwhelming. Preston and Madison were so young. So innocent. So pure. Abigail and Luke were still in Heaven waiting to come. They have heard us talk about 9/11 but I don't think they fully understood what happened until tonight and seeing the pictures and hearing the stories.

I hope they understand now why Chris left. Why he needed to serve. Why he needed to help those that couldn't help themselves. He didn't serve for gold, or oil, or for selfish reasons. He served because they brought the war to us. He serves because of the compassion he has for this country and the beautiful freedoms we have. He serves because of the love of his family. He serves because of the love of God.

May we never forget. May we remember those who died for us. Those that sacrificed on the planes, ground, and around the world. May their families feel the love and peace knowing they will be remembered.

So as we go through the day tomorrow may there be a reverence, and peace in knowing that yes things have changed, but they will never get our freedom, or break our spirits. That we as a family and a blessed country will do what we can to honor those who have fallen, honor those who have served and still serve.

Chris may you continue to know that what you are doing is right and that we will be next to you supporting you on.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

1 comment:

Coil Fam said...

So well said Aubrey. So well said by someone who knows what it means to honor their country, serve their God and protect our freedom...very well said.