Saturday, May 16, 2009

Why Tri? Because I Can

Today was an awesome day. Lala, Sarah (Lauren's sister-in-law), and I did a tri today. In January I was going to register for the Woman of Steel Tri when Lala called me and asked if I would do the relay with her. I was wanting to do it on my own but knowing that she sinks and not swim I agreed. I did the swim, Lala the bike, and then Sarah ran. I was so excited! We were number 613.

Standing next to the pool and waiting. They had us line up according to our times. I was soooo nervous, (but I didn't get sick YEAH!). It was so cold and I didn't want to take off my shorts. I haven't been in just a bathing suit in public in years. I wasn't about to take them off for the race. I pretty much wear swim shorts even to train. They are my comfort.
The line was getting longer and bigger and I was getting further back from the front. They divided you up according to the time you could swim. I timed myself two times and swam it in 7min 10sec. I was so proud so I figured I would start at the 7min marker. It was nuts. The first swimmer started and then every 12 seconds the next swimmer would jump in and go.


I am the one with arms up and trying to get excited. Get rid of the nerves and get ready. Plus I wanted to make sure that Caleb, Lala, and Sarah were watching me.


I'm the one in the pink cap. Can you find me?



Good, 'cause neith can I.
Be prepared you will need sunglasses for the next shot. Gotta love those Coil legs and skin. All white!!! Thanks Caleb for that great shot.
Oh, and look. My comfort is gone. I actually went without shorts and the swim was better; even though the pool was a sauna. Next time I hope they cool it down.



GO LALA!!! I am so proud of you and I am taking 20 minutes off your time. Thanks for inviting me to come and play. I had a blast.

Sarah is so dang cute! She was such a trooper for coming and running. I think she had as much fun as I did. She did awesome. And she is dang cute. Oh wait did I say that already. (Can't say it enough.)

We posed one last time at the end. All said and done it was a great day.




Caleb thanks for being the camerman, cheerleader, and host. I stayed at Lala's because you need to register the night before, and I didn't want to drive early that morning, since the race was about an hour and a half away from home. Thanks also for giving up your bed for me. Lala thanks for the encouragement. Sarah thanks for helping our team accomplish another goal. Thanks D for taking the girls for me. They absolutely loved it. Mom and Dad thanks for taking the boys. Chris thanks for all the nights you stayed home and put the kids to bed so I could go swim. Wish you could have been there.
PS Next year Lauren I am going to buy you biking shorts that we can inflate in the rear so that you float and not sink. HAHA!






6 comments:

Coil Fam said...

SO AWESOME!! WAY TO GO!!! I think this is one of the first times you girls competed and didn't have your dad there cheering you on, but we talked about you all morning, wondering how the race was going. Congratulations to you, Sarah and Lala.

PS I don't think it's Lala's behind we need to inflate, I think it's her feet. Do they make flotation devices for your toes?

Unknown said...

Flippers! But do they allow them?

Way to go girls!

Shay said...

Wish I could have been there. Good job.

Kathryn said...

Two of my girlfriends and I have been talking about trying that but I wasn't sure if you could have different people doing different things in a triathalon. Now I know. Way to go! I think it is awesome that you completed your goal. I am with you on the bathing suit thing. I am just as white girl and can totally relate.

D said...

So cute! Love it and good job to the three of you, wish I could have been there as well, but I will be there on August 8th ready to go. I loved watching the girls we had a lot of fun. Love you

Sarah said...

I wish I could swim like you Aubrey! Your swim time was faster than you even thought it would be! Seriously, everyone I talk to who would like to do a triathlon is hung up by the swimming - so you have got the hardest part mastered! As soon as our rec center is done here, I'm going to start swimming! That was an awesome experience, and I have to do it all by myself soon!